Sunday 16 June 2013

Self-publishing: how any idiot can have a book out


Obviously this is a police blog and the readers (of which surprisingly there have been a few thousand so far) would naturally expect the entries to be of a police nature. Firstly apologies that the entries have been sparse of late, but my full attention has been awarded to completing the new book - which I am relieved to say is finally done (almost)! Which brings me on to the purpose of this blog entry:

Instead of going into police matters I thought on this occasion I'd talk a little about writing and publishing a book as it may be of interest and curiosity to some. Although a full time crime fighter, I am also an amateur author. My genre: humorous police fiction; but then you probably already know that if you've read 'I Pay Your Wages!'.

Most people do not know of my hobby; since I write about the job I do, to some extent my stories are slightly autobiographical or at least drawn from real life experiences of mine or colleagues. Due to this fact I feel it prudent to not involve or inform my colleagues and employers as some of the stories might be a little too 'honest' for their liking. Whilst I make a very modest revenue from book royalties, this pales into insignificance compared to a police salary and pension. As much as I am grateful for gainful employment, until I sell a million copies and/or 20th Century Fox call saying they want to make a movie based on the book, I won't be risking my job or telling my chief constable where he can shove it anytime soon.

Without intending to sound too self-indulgent, I personally stick to writing what I know – I am fortunate that my profession inspires interest from others. Police work is perceived as intriguing, exciting, dangerous even; and is some ways it is. I do not have the skill to write a dramatized thriller, or experience to do a romantic fiction, or imagination to pen a fantasy adventure; so instead I fall back on something many police officers have – a sense of humour. I am delighted with the general response from people who have paid their own money to read my book and feel humbled by it all.

I feel a bit if a fraud when people look impressed (and usually a little surprised/baffled) if they find out I have books published - not that I make a habit of telling people - because the truth is nowadays anyone who owns a laptop, has a modicum of IT skills and can string a few intelligible sentences together can publish a book; and I don't just mean an ebook either - a real, physical, paperback book. I am living proof any idiot can do it! Various companies now offer a Print On Demand (POD) facility whereby an approved book can be purchased online by anyone across the world, printed in a press and despatched the same day for next day delivery. Such is the efficiency and cost effectiveness that a single book can be produced cheaply enough; so even if your work of literacy genius sells only one copy, then just one copy is all that will be printed - no need for large print runs to make publishing a book economically viable.

The process of getting your book out there is a simple one: write your book (this is the trickiest part), type it up on a computer, edit it, save it as a PDF, upload it to the publishing company of choice (I use CreateSpace who are owned by Amazon, but Lulu.com is also a popular one), within 24 hours they will approve the text, design a book cover (either of your own or by using a template they provide), make sure you're happy with the appearance of your masterpiece, come up with a witty book description, set your own price and 'boom' - it's done! Many companies will now do all this for free as they make their money when (or if) your book sells. The downside is the books are generally speaking only available online, so will never grace the shelves of WH Smiths or Waterstones. For books to appear in High Street stores an author will need the assistance - financial as well as introductory clout - of a traditional publisher; something I and many alike are striving for, but seldom few achieve.

But the real opportunity for self-published authors lays in e-readers like Kindle, Nook and the like. Because there is no physical product to manufacture or ship, anyone can write and publish their works, making it available to millions globally. For self-published authors ebooks generally account for the vast majority of sales compared to 'physical' books. About 85% of my sales are electronic.

Self-publishing, as the above process is called, is a fairly recent phenomenon that's changing the world of literature, making it easy for any Tom, Dick or EL James (yes, she was originally self-published) to put their work out there into the public domain.

The downside is this means there's a lot of dross out there by delusional, wannabe-be-the-next-JK Rowling amateur authors. As quality control is mostly down to the individual author themselves, quality of work - spelling, grammar, formatting - can vary and occasionally disappoint. Speaking of which, the new book, 'Upholding Law and Disorder: Police Tales from the Front Line', should be ready next week some time, in paperback and ebook format! :-)

I’m really pleased with it and know it won’t make my fortune, but I really hope people enjoy it and feel their money has not been wasted.

'I Pay Your Wages! A Beginners Guide to the Police Service' is still available, and discounted by a massive 4p by Amazon! Thanks Amazon! CLICK HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment